Holiday Pet Safety For Prosper Pet Parents
The holiday season is a time for family and friends and feasting delicious food. Of course, many people also include their beloved pets in the celebration, but keeping them safe from choking hazards and other dangers that can come with having a thanksgiving feast and having guests over is essential.
These tips can help keep your pet safe during the holiday.
While sharing delicious holiday food and treats with your pet is tempting, it is essential to remember that some foods are unsafe for animals.
Turkey: If you want your pet to have a taste of some turkey, make sure to separate the bones from the meat. Turkey bones, if ingested, can splinter and cause internal damage.
Garlic, Chives, and Leeks: Popular for seasoning several festive meals, this species of plants can destroy your pet's red blood cells leading to anemia. Avoid giving your pet bites of anything cooked with these ingredients.
Dough containing yeast: If your pet eats yeast dough before it is baked, their stomach could become distended from the expanding gas produced by yeast fermentation in their intestines. In addition to being uncomfortable for your pet, alcohol poisoning can cause vomiting and other unpleasant symptoms.
Chocolate: Chocolate's toxicity to dogs is a result of theobromine, a compound found in chocolate that canine digestive systems can't break down.
If you're planning an event involving several guests, consider your pets' safety and everyone else's comfort with the following points in mind.
- Your pet may get stressed out by too many visitors. In addition, some people may be allergic to or scared of dogs. If you're planning on having guests over for dinner or drinks, consider making your pet comfortable during the event by keeping him away from strangers in a separate comfortable room.
- Don't let children play with your pet unless they know how to handle him safely.
- If your guests are comfortable around your pet, make sure the guests' belongings are kept safe and out of reach of the animal. It's safer to keep your guests' belongings out of reach so that curious paws and snouts won't be able to damage them.
Candles are attractive to people and pets alike, but make sure never to leave a pet alone in a room with an unattended candle, as it could result in serious injury.
Decorations such as tinsel, ribbons, ornamental globes or plastic leaves can cause intestinal blockages or perforate an animal's intestine if swallowed.
Additional precautions like identification tags and microchips can help a lost pet get home safely. Pet parents should always have an emergency kit at hand to treat a pet's injuries in case of an emergency.
Being with your pet is a wonderful way to spend the holidays, but it's important to keep their safety in mind. If you have questions about keeping your pet safe during the holidays or any other time of year, contact your veterinarian for advice.
Windmill Veterinary Center Is Putting Your Pet's Health First This Holiday Season!
You can rely on our dedicated team at Windmill Veterinary Center to provide your beloved companion with the highest quality care. Our full-service veterinary care facility offers everything from routine exams and vaccinations to boarding and grooming, allowing you to keep your pet healthy and happy this festive season. Call us at 972-945-7257 if you are concerned about something your pet ingested.