4 Toxic Foods to Avoid Feeding Dogs
Is your dog there to greet you every time you open up the fridge or open the bag of chips for a quick snack?
Dogs will eat almost anything. As responsible pet owners though, it’s important to know which foods to avoid feeding dogs to prevent any serious illness or adverse reactions in your pet.
Avoid Feeding Your Dogs These Foods
Here are a few foods to avoid giving your dog:
- Grapes: Grapes are a tasty treat for humans, but can cause major sickness and even death for dogs. Grapes (and raisins, which are dried grapes) can cause sudden kidney failure and as the body tries to rid the poison from the body, can lead to lethargy and dehydration.
- Caffeine: Pets are much more sensitive to caffeine than humans are. Ingesting moderate amounts of caffeine from highly concentrated foods such as coffee grounds, tea bags or caffeine pills can cause death in small dogs. Some signs of caffeine poisoning are mild to severe hyperactivity, restlessness, vomiting, elevated heart rate, elevated blood pressure, seizures, and collapse.
- Onions: Onions can cause poisoning and kill off the red blood cells in dogs. It only takes 100 grams of onion for a 45lb dog to cause dangerous levels of toxicity. Onions are used in a variety of foods, so be extra careful when giving your dog any human food as your dog would happily devour onion rings if left on the floor or a table that they can reach.
- Alcohol: If you have alcohol in your household, make sure that it’s far from your dog. Just a little bit of alcohol is enough to induce vomiting, diarrhea, and sickness in your dog. Alcohol can cause similar effects in dogs that it does in humans, such as dizziness, breathing problems, coordination problems, and even death. It doesn’t take much alcohol to affect a dog, particularly if your dog is really small.